Maddie McBirney and Paula Rini
Maddie McBirney and Paula Rini served as city art commissioners for the Bay Area community of Los Altos. During their tenure they were able to secure a budget for future art, through a 1% tax on future development projects, as well as develop a master plan for art.
- (1:50) How creating a Master Plan was instrumental in passing the "1% or Art" in Los Altos.
- (7:00) Why does a small city need art, and does it deter development projects?
- (8:35) What advice would you give yourself in retrospect about the process of getting a "1% for art " approved?
- (11:45) The decision-making process of approving art projects.
- (17:53) Tapping into various demographics
- (19:42) What advice do you have for other small cities who want to pass a "1% for art"?
- (26:18) Why are you an arts advocate?
- (27:10) What was the process like for getting the new murals approved in Redwood City?
- (28:35) Morgan's white paper on Managing a Public Mural Project